Friday, January 17, 2014

A week in January

 Since we have been having such bad weather in Montreal and so much snow, we take the Metro almost every day now.  Luckily the Metro's come very quickly one after the other during rush hour and so we never spend too much time waiting.  Sometimes we will come and a Metro has just left.  The crowds will have looked like this photo, but in just a few minutes another comes along and the crowds are much thinner.  Below is a picture of an empty car which we have never seen in real life.  Even though there are usually a lot of people and the cars are cramped full, the people are very polite.   I have not seen any pushing, shoving, or anything like that.  Often a younger person will stand up and offer me their seat.  I think that is really nice and I appreciate it.  Going into the Metro one must walk down or up  several flights of long stairs in addition to taking a really long escalator.  I hate it when the escalator breaks because those escalators are really long.
 We take the Orange line getting on at Sherbrooke ( in our basement) and gett off at Laurier.  It hardly take any time at all.

 We have been so, so busy in the office.  Last Tuesday night after working all day we went to the Temple.  It is our regular evening to work at the Montreal Temple.  It was unusually busy there and we didn't get home until almost 11:00.  The next day we began our regular day at the office starting before 8:30.  We had to train incoming missionaries in addition to our regular work.  I was also extra busy for a couple of days with two missionaries.  One Sister had to go to the hospital for a suspected appendicitis.  That took several hours of work to get her admitted and then after being there over night she was sent home only to return a few days later for further testing.  She did not have appendicitis, but is being treated for a different problem.  We also had an Elder who slipped on the ice and broke his wrist.  That also was something that had to be dealt with for almost a week before he got the help he needed.  Part of the problem was that he waited to go to the clinic until we told him that he absolutely had to go.  With the medical system here, it also takes a lot of time to be seen and only because a member had some connections was he able to go to a clinic so soon.  Then President asked us to take the three departing missionaries to the Temple.  We were happy to do so.  We love Soeur Houde, Elder Bangerter, and Sister Grossenbach.  They have been awesome missionaries.  Afterwards the President invited us into his home to participate in their Testimony Mtg.  After that they had dessert and after that he asked us to stay and just visit with him and Sister Patrick.  By the time we got home it was 1:00 a.m.  I didn't want to wake up the next morning, but of course I did.

                                   Here we all are after midnight.  You can see our tired faces.

 About a week and a half ago we received notice that our car had a recall on the steering shaft and some other problems.  So today we drove to Plattsburg, New York to have the work done.  The car place had a driver take us to a little shopping center while they worked on the car and they picked us up when it was done.  We did some shopping, some talking, and some reading. After we got the car back we went for a late lunch to Buffalo Wild Wings a new restaurant there at Consumer Square.
                               I loved the poster of the chicken in the car with a seat belt.
                                    Papa had a yummy sirloin tip with horseradish sliders and fries.
I had Asian Style wings that were too hot for me even though they were medium.  Next time I will choose mild.

I am beyond tired this week because I haven't been sleeping well either.  Hope for better sleep next week.
I forgot to say that Elder Arhets has been busy with several accidents.  Our missionaries have been having about 2 accidents a week.  We have been blessed that there have been no injuries.  As I am writing, he is on the phone with some Sisters who just had an accident.  It is now after 9:00 in the evening.  The roads here are very bad and very slick so lots of accidents occur.  

1 comment:

  1. Gee whiz, that's crazy about the appendicitis scare, and all the car accidents on icy roads! I feel bad for the elder who broke his wrist - I fell off a ladder and broke my wrist when Zach was a baby, and it was very painful and difficult to deal with!

    It's so great that the young elders and sisters have you and your hubby to help them when these things happen!